We are all familiar with the health benefits of training jiu-jitsu. From physical benefits such as weight loss to psychological benefits such as stress relief, it's no wonder that we're all addicted to this wonderful sport. However, there are risks to our sport. Aside from the sore elbows and bruises, we need to keep in mind that...
Training environments often harbor many nasty microbes. Two common examples are:
- Ringworm causes a scaly, crusted rash that may appear as round, red patches on the skin.
- For more information about ringworm
- Staph or Staphylococcus is group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. MRSA is a type of Staphylococcus aureus that is resistant to the antibiotic methicillin and other drugs in this class.
- For more information about Staph/MRSA
The last thing we want is to be out of training for weeks or months due to easily preventable skin infections.
Tips for maintaining a clean and safe training environment:
- Train with a clean gi
- Article: How to care for your gi
- Shower with soap before and after training
- If leaving the mat areas, always wear proper footwear, to avoid bringing microbes back to the mat
- Ensure the mats are cleaned daily
- If you think you have a skin infection, DO NOT train
Combined with a comprehensive hygiene routine, our naturally antimicrobial 100% hemp gis are a perfect complementary tool in helping you enjoy a healthy grappling career.
Do you train no gi?
With all of these dangers in mind, we designed our naturally antimicrobial Hemp Shorts and rash guards for making your "no gi" training safer. Because our Hemp Shorts are constructed of hemp, which is naturally antimicrobial, they are the perfect piece of armor to ward against mat nasties. Combining our naturally antimicrobial Hemp Shorts with a pair spats, a rash guard, and a proper personal hygiene regiment will ensure that all your bases are covered.
Learn more about our 100% hemp gis here.